Retail is Ireland's largest industry and largest private sector employer, with a presence in every city, town and village - right across the country.
- The Irish retail sector employs almost 285,000 people. Approximately 72% of those employed in the sector are based outside of Dublin, which is much higher than in sectors such as ICT and financial services where less than 50% of jobs are outside the Dublin area.
- There are 37,400 retail and wholesale businesses operating in Ireland.
- 85% of retail businesses in Ireland are employing less than 10 people.
- Retail is the biggest contributor to the Irish exchequer, generating 23% of total tax receipts in Ireland. This is more than twice that of Ireland’s second largest sector, financial services, which accounts for 11%.
- Over the past three years, tax revenue from retail has grown to over €7 billion.